Sunday 15 April 2012

To be born...

To be blessed with His precious gift- Life,
To dream of a light in the dark,
To have a haven so warm and safe,
To have the chance of leaving my mark.
Being the delicate one was not an easy task,
To live with perils all day long.
But in your love and care did I bask,
Taking in the world as it came along.

All the sights were but a blur
But through your eyes you showed me all.
My words were not even a slur
But you alone did hear my call.
Deaf to the outside world was I
But your voice was my lullaby.

With each passing day I grew more
Apprehension too coming to the fore...
Before the long wait could make me sore,
The day arrived for me to soar!

Ay me, I was born a GIRL.
I was too little to understand!

My cry was all that was heard
A fresh breath, all I could take,
Before my existence was stilled.
Life as I knew it, ended there!

Fate played the cruelest game ever.
I could have been my brothers' little sister
And my parents' loving daughter but here I lay,
Denied of all that Life could offer me.
To be burnt as a sacrifice and thrown away.
Was it for God or was it for society?

To my parents, bound and helpless as you were:
I pray that I live eternally through you.
To my brothers, for the silly quarrels we never had:
May you receive a sister's love through your daughters.
To God: as I accept my fate with sorrow:
I hope I am destined for a better future,
For I have always heard my mother say,
'All that happens, happens for a reason.'

I hope my life's purpose justifies this.
In spite of these comforting thoughts
The reason still eludes my comprehension.
I guess I was too little to understand!

(My first ever poem- Titled Destiny's Child)

1 comment:

animelove said...

It calls my heart! I saw this and I knew, this is the poem, what I found! Thank you so much!