Sunday 2 May 2010

Cooking Expeditions

It all started way back- the year, day and time i exactly don't remember. The entire family was all gung ho about me trying to do something in the kitchen. But the only relationship me and the kitchen ever had was me entering it once in a while to fix a snack for myself or mainly to get chocolates from the refrigerator. The earliest memory of me making anything was a lemonade for my dad and uncle. It turned out to be a fabulous lemonade that my uncle finally had to tell me not to show my anger on the lemon and that i had to squeeze the lemon pretty softly to prevent the lemonade from tasting sour. :-)
The next one had to be with Varun. Whenever grandparents were not staying with us, then mom left it on us to make our own evening tea. Age was definitely not a barrier in making tea as far as he was concerned! I took up the responsibility of making tea for both of us. When one day we had our usual fights i challenged him to make his own tea and thus my sweet bro tried his hand at cooking. He stood in front of the gas staring very hard at it. Come to think of it now, whether he thought himself to be the X Men or the Fantastic Four fire guy only God knows but it was as if he was waiting for the fire to just come from somewhere. All this while i was sitting there and laughing my stomach out. Finally after what seemed to be like an eternity of staring and laughing matches he had the presence of mind to ask me. After i helped him light the stove he managed to do things on his own...
Now after so many years the entire family which includes me, papa & varun decided that we will make life easier for mom and that was by making me enter the maidan-e-jung of kitchen! It all started by me helping her cut some vegetables. And guess what the first vegetable was...onions! I had read before that it is the odour of onions that is responsible for all the tears that one sheds while cutting it. I hinted that to mom and all that she could come up with was to stuff some cotton in my nose...PJ i know. Anyway, i cut 2 onions without much of any accidents (as i am generally prone to) i did finally end up with one. Cutting the third onion i was just checking how sharp the knife was and i soon got the answer to my question in return for some blood and skin. After cleaning my wound and having properly attended to it i continued with the cutting process and i realized that it was not such a good idea after all. The stinging sensation in my wound was so evident on my face that mom took the knife and continued with the rest.
So much for helping in cutting vegetables. But mom did say that i cut the vegetables so small and cute that it reminded her of her mom! So one medal! I decided to give myself the degree and graduated to the next level.
The next day i saw mom preparing dough for chapathi and it was my all-time wish to make round chapathis. So finally with everything settled with mom i settled into making gol gol chapathis. With flour all over me and almost 3 or 4 retries i finally managed to make one. That is when mom noticed that there were traces of flour in vessels kept at least a metre away from me! But i continued to make chapathis and finally ended up making perfect good-looking chapathis and i let my imagination run wild with that. I kept on commenting that one chapathi looked like an old man's face, the other like Varun's face and all. Well in short, me and mom had a blast making chapathis so much so that i ended up giving her demo of how messy a work could be done. Thus finally i made gol gol chapathis and aloo masala, though the masala was mainly done by my mom except me cutting and putting garam masala in it.
The next day i tried making dosa and i realized that eating dosas are much easier than making them.Finally i ended up making small cute ones that were of the size of my fist while my mom made huge ones. Such cooking expeditions continue till date and my mom is pretty worried with the sudden change in my attitude towards kitchen and she just has this weird doubt whether i will stop studying. All that i have to tell her is 'When did i ever start studying for me to stop? ;-)'

No comments: